[Advaita-l] adhikAra - veda - vedAnta, a query

Vinodh vinodh.iitm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 06:19:31 EDT 2021

Namaskarams,

Another story that strikes me in this context is one in the life
of Shankara Bhagavadpada that lead him to compose to the Manisha Panchakam (
https://sanskritdocuments.org/sites/snsastri/Manishapanchakam.pdf).

Here is a short description of the story from Wikipedia:

According to the story, Adi Shankaraachaarya, was on his way to the temple
after finishing his bath in Ganga. Suddenly he saw a chandaala (an
outcaste) and his four dogs on the way, and told him to moved away from
him, as per the custom in those days. The Chandala then asked him question
in two verses which is -

अन्नमायादन्नमयमथवा चैतन्यमेव चैतन्यात्
यतिवर दूरीकर्तुं वाञ्छसि किं ब्रूहि गच्छगच्छेति

To move matter from matter, or to separate Spirit from Spirit?
O best among the twiceborn, which of these two do you wish to achieve by
saying, “Move away, move away”?

On hearing this question, Shankara replied to these questions in five
verses and touched the feet of Chandala, as a way to show respect towards
him.

Here, we see another exception that a Jnani has made with respect to the
commonly observed rules of the shaastras. These examples illustrate that
there have always been, since Upanishadic times until recent times,
exceptions to the shaastric rules made by great Jnanis and Acharyas based
on the case at hand. However, an ajnani must be very careful in drawing any
extrapolations from these exceptions to the rules of the shaastras. For
ajnanis like me (who still have not let go of the identification with the
body-mind-complex), it is important to make all effort toward following the
shaastric injunctions rather than trying to violate them by citing
exceptions such as these that were made my jnanis. In the Gita, Sri Krishna
says that even if one believes oneself to be a jnani and outside any rules
still for the sake of lokasamgraha (welfare of the society) the dharmic
rules must be followed. In fact, Sri Chandrashekharendra Saraswathi cites
this very incident in Shankaracharya's life to convey this message in one
of his discourses (I believe it is in Deivatthin Kural / Voice of God, Vol.
5).

Om tat sat 🙏