[Advaita-l] Adi Sankara's Bhaja Govindam - 1

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 23:27:28 EDT 2021

Kaushik Chevendra chevendrakaushik at gmail.com wrote:

> > Verse 1:
> >       भज गोविन्दं भज गोविन्दं, गोविन्दं भज मूढमते |
> >       संप्राप्ते संनिहिते काले नहि नहि रक्षति डुक्रुंकरणे ||
> > Bhaja Govindam, Bhaja Govindam
> > Govindam Bhaja Moodamathe,
> > Sampraapte sannihite kaale,
> > Nahi nahi rakshati dukrumkarane.
> >
> Namaste sir.

Namaste.

> > Oh, mind steeped in ignorance (मूढमते moodamathe)! Pray unto Govinda
> > (गोविन्दं भज Govindam bhaja). When our time comes near (काले संप्राप्ते
> > [सति] kaale sampraapte [sati]),
> > mechanical chanting (डुक्रुंकरणे dukrunkarane),
>
> In most of the translation this dukrunkarane is taken to mean "grammar".
> Why is there this difference? Which is the correct one and why?

That word only serves to denote that which is not to be pursued in the old age when time is running out.
But yes, it's usually taken to be grammar. The author of this series has taken it to mean something else, but
that doesn't take away the essence of the rest of his translations, which are mostly correct.

> Thank you
> Namo narayanaya

Regards,
Kartik