[Advaita-l] [advaitin] 'Dvaita accepts body-adhyasa'

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 04:58:11 EDT 2021

Namaste Vinodh Ji,

Reg  <<  In essence, I am trying to understand where and why the Dvaitic
schools
differ in their conclusion from Advaita even though they accept the same
Sruti and accept several things that are common with Advaita like body-mind
adhyaasa. Why do they stop short of the final conclusion of Advaita even
while there are many similarities? What is it they are unable to agree with
on Advaita and why? >>,

I have selected arbitrarily one part from your posts to explain my
understanding of the position. Several other parts could also have been
selected for the same purpose.

The adhyAsa advanced by Sri Bhagavatpada involves a combination of the Real
and the Unreal. AdhyAsa Bhashya in the second line declares ** सत्यानृते
मिथुनीकृत्य ** (**satyAnRRite mithunIkRRitya** ). All vyavahAra is founded
on such an adhyAsa only. In other words all vyavahAra involves a
combination of the Real and the Unreal. None of the other schools of
thought accept such a position even if they were to accept some type of
adhyAsa. In their Systems, all entities involved in vyavahAra are Real.

AdhyAsa Bhashya has five sections  namely प्रतिज्ञा (pratij~nA), लक्षण
(lakShaNa), उपपत्ति (upapatti), प्रमाण (pramANa), and उपसंहार (upasaMhAra).
What I have cited above is from the  प्रतिज्ञा (pratij~nA) section. The
Shruti pramANa for the same is covered in the appropriate section.

Hope this answers the fundamental issue raised by you. Once this position
of Sidhanta is understood, I believe many of the other doubts raised stand
automatically cleared.

Regards
Chandramouli

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 8:31 AM Vinodh via Advaita-l <