[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Yet another Mahavakya in the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad

Vinodh vinodh.iitm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 11:33:58 EDT 2021

On Fri 22. Oct 2021 at 20:47, Raman M <mraman.m at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Oct, 2021, 20:35 Vinodh, <vinodh.iitm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Namaskaram,
>>
>> Thank you for sharing this "mahavakya".
>>
>> This brings up the following question in my mind: what makes a vakya a
>> "mahavakya"?
>>

> as far as i have understood, a maha vakya is one that describes the
> jeeva/brahma aikyam explicitly.

Thanks.

I just reflected on this definition and it appears to fit with the
well-known ones:

ayam ātmā brahma / tat tvam asi / aham brahmasmi - here it jiva-brahma
aikyam is clear.

prajñānam brahma - if the prajnanam is taken to be the consciousness of the
jiva then this is also talking about jiva-brahma aikyam.

However, it does not appear to fit with the Brihardaranyaka / Taittiriya
Upanishad quotes above because they are either talking about only the jiva
or only the brahman.

Then I wonder why Sri Mani Dravid Shastri calls the Brihadaranyaka
Upanishad quote above a mahavakya. I was guessing that perhaps a mahavakya
is description by meditating on which a person can realize the Truth.
Perhaps by meditating on the vijnanamaya jiva, i.e., the consciousness as
ajaa (unborn and therefore eternal) one realizes the Truth and this is why
the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad quote is a mahavakya?