[Advaita-l] [advaitin] The term 'mahavakya' in the Aitareya Bhashya

Vinodh vinodh.iitm at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 09:35:26 EDT 2021

Namaskaram Sri Sreenivasa Murthy ji,

Thank you for your message. The question that was posed in the other thread
was about the usage of the word “mahavakya” itself.

Has Shankara Bhagavadpada used this term in his works in its popular
Vedantic meaning (of a vakya that expresses jiva-brahma-aikyam) and if yes
where? For example, has Shankara Bhagavadpada referred to the sentences
like the ones you quote as “mahavakyas”?