[Advaita-l] Fwd: [advaitin] Yet another Mahavakya in the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 07:59:47 EDT 2021

Namaste,
"Sri Bhagavatpada specifically declares in a number of places that
Realization is instantaneous and coterminus with mahAvAkya shravaNa. For
example please refer Upadesha Sahasri, metric part, chapter 18, verses
103/104."

True, but that does not amount to a denial of the possibility of a samskAra
of mahAvAkya shravaNam in the past leading to jnAna in the present - to do
that, one will have to prove that there can be no pratibandhas to the rise
of jnAna after mahAvAkya shravaNam, and I have not come across any pramANa
for such a postulate.

It is like saying I see that knowledge "this is a pot" is coterminus with
the senses making contact with the pot. Everyone will agree with that, with
the caveat that pot will have to be well lit as well.

If darkness obscures the pot, I will not be able to see it, even when the
senses make contact with the pot.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On Tue, 26 Oct 2021, 11:05 H S Chandramouli via Advaita-l, <