[Advaita-l] Avachheda Vaada

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 01:23:27 EDT 2021

Namaste.

Reg  << Actually the Taittiriya declares ब्रह्मविदाप्नोति परम्....सत्यं
ज्ञानमनन्तं ब्रहम  ' यो वेद निहितं गुहायां परमे व्योमन्

> Thereby it is teaching that one should seek to know Brahman not elsewhere
> but in the cave of his intellect where It is available for knowing.
> Shankara while explaining the pravesh vakya tat सृष्ट्वा तदेवानु प्राविशत्
> discusses at length to conclude that pravesha means only 'Brahman is to be
> known in the buddhi Guha. He reasons that it's only there that one
> experiences one is hearer, seer, thinker, etc which are all indicative of
> consciousness.  That such a consciousness is brahman is also known from the
> passage Brahma puccham pratishtha which occurs at the end of the anandamaya
> kosha delineation. At this point the jivatma ends and Brahman is taught as
> the adhishthsnam of all jagat/laukika ananda. And there occurs the
> brahmatmaj aikyam. Thus the reflection of consciousness in the intellect is
> brahman as taught by the Shruthi >>,

I entirely agree. Brahman is **Realized** in the antahkarana only and that
too as a reflection. I had earlier  pointed out that this is accepted by
Bhamati also. But in my understanding, Vivarana school postulates
reflection of Brahman in antahkarana prior to **Realization** also, and
there it is considered as representative of jIvAtma and not as
Paramatma/Brahman. Hence prior to *Realization*, the Consciousness
reflected in the intellect is not the vishaya for that avidya nivartaka
vritti. A distinction needs to be made between the two in my view. This is
what I intended to say.

Regards