[Advaita-l] Avachheda Vaada

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 05:04:27 EDT 2021

Namaste.

Reg   << Sounds like they accept that the vRtti is capable of reflecting
consciousness, but do not accord that reflection a central role in the
cognitive process >>,

The reflection is indeed accorded a central role. But as an object of
cognition, not as the Subject of cognition. << अपि तु अन्तःकरणस्यैव
वृत्तिभेदो ब्रह्मविषयः । >>  << api tu antaHkaraNasyaiva vRRittibhedo
brahmaviShayaH | >>  << it is a particular psychosis (vritti) of the
internal organ itself, having Brahman for its content >>.   That appears to
me to be a fundamental difference between the Bhamati and Vivarana Schools.

Also it appears to me that such reflection of Brahman in vritti is admitted
in Bhamati only  in respect of the akhandakara vritti. And not in any other
vrittis. This also is a major difference between the two Schools and could
be considered as Bhamati School’s refutation of a main feature  of
 Pratibimba vAda.

Regards
Chandramouli