[Advaita-l] Nirvikalpa-samadhi reference in Vivekachudamani

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 06:39:18 EDT 2021

Namaste Abhiram Ji,

Reg  <<  because as per advaita definition, there is vRtti and  if
there is a vRtti there is going to be a tripuTI (the awareness of the
thought will exist) >>,

tripuTi is present in all vRitti jnAna except in respect of vritti of
AtmajnAna (which is called akhandAkAra vritti).

Reg  << From what I understand, in Advaita the nirvikalpa (the state) is not
considered mandatory or even very useful for j~nAnam >>

And

<<  Further, in VC254
अज्ञानहृदयग्रन्थेर्निःशेषविलयस्तदा । समाधिनाऽविकल्पेन यदाऽद्वैतात्मदर्शनम्‌
॥ ३५४ ॥

Here, it literally seems to imply that  advaita-Atmadarshanam is achieved
by nirvikalpa-samAdhi  >>,

Since you have quoted from VC later in your post, I am copying below from
the vyAkhyAna of Jagadguru HH Sri Chandrasekhara Bharathi Mahaswaminah on
what Nirvikalpa SamAdhi means in Advaita Sidhanta.

Verse 343  << यथा तथैव सा वृत्तिः ब्रह्ममात्रतया स्थिता । पृथङ्नभाति
ब्रह्मैवाद्वितीयमवभासते । ज्ञात्रादिकल्पनाभावान्मतोयं निर्विकल्पकः॥ >>

<<  yathA tathaiva sA vRRittiH brahmamAtratayA sthitA | pRRitha~NnabhAti
brahmaivAdvitIyamavabhAsate | j~nAtrAdikalpanAbhAvAnmatoyaM nirvikalpakaH||

Thus  ** advaita-Atmadarshanam is achieved
IN  nirvikalpa-samAdhi **  and not  ** advaita-Atmadarshanam is achieved
BY nirvikalpa-samAdhi **.

I am also copying below some excerpts from the translation and notes on
Drik Drishya Viveka by Swami Nikhilananda

Quote  Verse 26  << But the Nirvikalpa SamAdhi is that in which the mind
becomes steady like the (unflickering flame of a) light kept in a place
free from wind and in which the student becomes indifferent to both objects
and sounds on account of his complete absorption in the bliss of the
realization of the Self >>

Notes on Verse 26  << The Nirvikalpa SamAdhi is the highest kind of
concentration in which the practitioner realizes his real Self >>

<<  The difference between deep sleep and Nirvikalpa SamAdhi is that in the
former state there is no knowledge of Self, but in the latter there exists
no feeling of not knowing the Self, because in the Nirvikalpa SamAdhi one
becomes identified with the ever-Conscious Atman >>.

Regards
Chandramouli

On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 1:06 AM Abhiram Ayyar via Advaita-l <