[Advaita-l] saMkShepa rAmAyaNa 10 - phalashruti

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Mon Apr 11 02:33:10 EDT 2022

॥ फलश्रुति ॥

इदं पवित्रं पापघ्नं पुण्यं वेदैश्च संमितम् । यः पठेद्रामचरितं सर्वपापैः प्रमुच्यते ॥९८॥

“Whoever recites this story of rAma which is pure, sin-averting and holy
and is equal to the Vedas[1], will be freed from all sins.”(98)

[1] The itihAsa and purANas contain the essence of the vedas and give the
same benefits to those who do not have adhikAra for vedas.

एतदाख्यानमायुष्यं पठन्रामायणं नरः ।
सपुत्रपौत्रः सगणः प्रेत्य स्वर्गे महीयते ॥९९॥

“This story of rAmAyaNa enhances the longevity of those who recite it.
They will be worshiped in heaven after their death along with their sons
and grandsons, followers and relatives.”(99)

पठन्द्विजो वागृषभत्वमीयात्स्यात्क्षत्रियो भूमि पतित्वमीयात् ॥
वणिग्जनः पुण्यफलत्वमीयाज्जनश्च शूद्रोऽपि महत्त्वमीयात् ॥१००॥

“A brAhmaNa becomes proficient in speech[1].  A kShatriya gets lordship
over the earth. A vaiShya gets the fruits of his business and a shUdra
also attains greatness[2]”(100)

[1]  The commentators explain speech as the eighteen branches of learning.

[2] By reciting the rAmAyaNa.  Once again we see that the rAmAyaNa is
meant for all people.  The methods may be different for different people
depending upon various factors but  the goal is the same and is achievable
by all.

॥ इति संक्षेप रामायणं समाप्तम् ॥

Thus ends the saMkShepa rAmAyaNa and my attempt at a translation.  If you
enjoyed it, I have one request; please go through the installments with a
fine-toothed comb and let me know of any errors in the sanskrit or
english, incorrect translations, bad grammar or spelling etc.  If you have
any further notes or observations to add that would be most welcome too.