[Advaita-l] saMkShepa rAmAyaNa 10 - phalashruti

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Apr 12 02:55:34 EDT 2022

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022, Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l wrote:

> I have seen many discussions about the translation of 'Vanara'. Many people
> feel it should not be translated as 'Monkey'. Vanaras are not the same
> species as monkeys. They are closer to humans than monkeys.

vAnara literally means "forest man" but the conventional meaning is
monkey.  The rAmAyaNa itself using kapi (see shloka 77) and harI (shloka
68) as synonyms for vAnara and both mean monkey.  Furthermore the Gujarati
word vAMdro and the Hindi word bandara which both derive from vAnara both
mean monkey.

A sufficiently enterprising person can "interpret" any word into any other
but when there is an accepted common-sense meaning it should be accepted
instead of torturing texts.