[Advaita-l] VIRAJA HOMAM

KAMESWARARAO MULA kamesh_ccmb at yahoo.co.in
Mon Aug 1 23:52:02 EDT 2022

Dasanami Sampradaya:                                             Dasanami sannyasin, a Shavite, Ascetic, who belongs to one of the 10 orders (dashnami, “ten names”) established by the Adi Shankara in the 8th century CE and still flourishing even today.
The 10 orders are Aranya, Ashrama, Bharati, Giri, Parvata, Puri, Sarasvati, Sagara, Tirtha, and Vana.
Each order is attached to one of four monasteries (mathas), also established by Shankara, in the north, south, east, and west parts of India. They are Jyoti (Joshi) Matha (at Badrinath, near Haridwar), Shringeri Matha (Sringeri, Karnataka), Govardhana Matha (Puri, Orissa) and Sharada Matha (Dwaraka, Gujarat). The heads of the monasteries are called mahants (Peethadipathis)  (the head of the Shringeri Matha is called jagadguru, “teacher of the world”); they continue to be consulted on points of doctrine and to be accorded the highest respect by Hindu laymen as well as by the  ascetics who follow them.

Dashnami sannyasins typically wear ochre-coloured robes and, if they can obtain one, carry on their shoulders a tiger or leopard skin to sit on. They wear a mark (tilaka), ideally made with ash from a cremation fire, consisting of three horizontal bands across the forehead and on other parts of their body, and a necklace-rosary consisting of 108 rudraksha seeds. They allow their beards to grow and wear their hair loose about their shoulders or else tied in a topknot.

Sri Guru Padaravindarpana Mastu
Kameswara
Some extreme dashnamis go about naked. They are called naga (“naked”) sannyasins and are the most militant among the ascetics. In the past the naga sannyasins on occasion engaged in battles with Islamic militants and with the naked ascetics of other Hindu sects.