[Advaita-l] ​Re: [advaitin] A talk on avidyA by Manjushree

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 00:47:45 EST 2022

Namaste Bhaskar Ji,

I had asked

<< The issue is a limited one. Are you disputing my understanding from the
said quote that Sri SSS indeed admits that here and there in the Bhashya,
Sri Bhagavatpada has stated that the terms avidyA and mAyA are synonymous
>>,

You are responding

<<   Yes, in this observation Sri SSS saying 'even though' shankara using
avidyA and mAya as synonyms, readers should not be deluded that both are
one and the same>> .

This is indeed amazing. What you are saying  ** Sri SSS saying 'even
though' shankara using avidyA and mAya as synonyms ** is contradictory to
your saying **Yes** as the first word.  That is enough admission  for me
that you agree with my  understanding as  correct. Thank you .

As to your further statement ** readers should not be deluded that both are
one and the same **, this is  what I have myself  broughtout in my post as
the view of Sri SSS. So it is again reinforcing  my  understanding only.
However I had made the following observation in my first post on this
issue, copied below for ready reference.

<< Sri SSS has preferred to present an interpretational view of the BhAshya
(his own interpretation) rather than the direct and explicit view (avidyA
and mAyA are synonymous terms) stated in the BhAshya. This is in
contravention of the generally accepted rule which calls for accepting the
direct statements and interpreting others in line with this. Also such an
interpretation leads to the conclusion that the Bhashya is selfcontradictory
>>.

Whatever else you have mentioned in your post have been answered in the
traditional view without any contradiction to the direct and explicit
statement attributed to Sri Bhagavatpada by Sri SSS himself as broughtout
above. The debate thereon has been endless and I do not propose to go over
them again.

Clearly the view taken by Sri SSS on this issue contradicts the Bhashya
itself.
Regards