[Advaita-l] Can someone summarize it?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 06:54:22 EST 2022

Here is a summary of my understanding of the debate:

In  Advaita the superimposed snake is designated anirvachaniya, that is it
is neither absolutely real, like Brahman, nor  absolutely nonexistent like
the hare's horn. For this there is a maxim Advaitins state: sat chet na
baadhyeta, asat chet na pratiyeta: If the apparent snake is real, it would
not be sublated upon the rope-knowledge dawning. If it were like the hare's
horn, it would not have been perceived in the first place.  The snake is
sublated and is perceived during the error.

This is objected to by Madhwacharya saying: how can you say this snake is
distinct from the hare's horn unless you perceive the hare's horn (in order
to say the snake is distinct from the hare's horn)?

It is this question that is debated in the Tumkur event.  The event
concluded before the Advaitin's response could be presented fully.

A lot of Nyaya is involved in the debate.

Those in the know of the Advaita siddhi, etc. can give a clearer picture of
the debate.

regards
subbu

On Mon, Dec 5, 2022 at 6:00 PM Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l <