[Advaita-l] FW: ​Re: [advaitin] A talk on avidyA by Manjushree

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 07:15:18 EST 2022

On Mon, Dec 12, 2022 at 5:34 PM H S Chandramouli <hschandramouli at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Namaste Subrahmanian Ji,
>
> Reg  << Sri SSS finding that irksome has given a footnote that this is
> perhaps a later addition to the bhashya >>,
>
> I did not see such a statement in the footnotes for verse 8. Please
> clarify.

Sorry, that is what someone had said in a discussion. If I locate it I
shall cite it verbatim. But the actual footnote is what I have stated by
actually citing SSS's footnote below:

Reg  << Sri SSS, on this page, in a footnote No.4, remarks that the
word  'kAraNA
> sharIram'  is to be taken as Avidya which is the one that causes that one
> is embodied. He further remarks this 'kAraNA sharIram'  is not found in any
> of the prasthana traya corpus. So its appearing here is to be examined by
> the knowledgeable ones>>,
>
> Sri SSS mentions that we need to infer or imagine that  AvidyA is called
> kAraNa sharIra in this part of the Bhashya. However the term kAraNa sharIra
> is not to be found anywhere else in the PTB. Hence this part of the Bhashya
> needs further consideration by scholars.
>
> Above is my understanding.
>
> Reg reference to Swami Sureswaracharya in your post, the issue was where
> in PTB there is any reference to AvidyA as existent bhAvarUpa entity. In
> the Bhashya reference I have given, if even Sri SSS had to resort to the
> need for amendment of the Bhashya itself therein, it only reaffirms that
> even according to him (Sri SSS), the Bhashya as it stands would qualify as
> a pramANa for bhAvarUpa AvidyA.

Yes, it is only with this idea I cited the Vartika, which Sri SSS holds as
'uncorrupted' and reflects Shankara's original thoughts pristinely. So,
here is an instance in the Vartika too that gives the meaning of karya
avidya and karana avidya.

regards
subbu