[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Gita bhashya excerpt proves Avidya is Bhavarupa

Jaishankar Narayanan jai1971 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 06:39:51 EST 2022

Namaste,

Even the following bhashya from Tai Up Bhashya says the same

अविद्या च स्वानुभवेन रूप्यते - मूढोऽहम् अविविक्तं मम विज्ञानम् इति । तथा
विद्याविवेको अनुभूयते । उपदिशन्ति च अन्येभ्य आत्मनो विद्यां बुधाः । तथा च
अन्ये अवधारयन्ति । तस्मात् नामरूपपक्षस्यैव विद्याविद्ये नामरूपे च ; न
आत्मधर्मौ

*avidyā ca svānubhavena rūpyate - mūḍho'ham aviviktaṃ mama vijñānam iti **।
**tathā vidyāviveko anubhūyate **। **upadiśanti ca anyebhya ātmano vidyāṃ
budhāḥ **। **tathā ca anye avadhārayanti **। **tasmāt nāmarūpapakṣasyaiva
vidyāvidye nāmarūpe ca ; na ātmadharmau* - Tai Up 2.8.5 Bh

And ignorance is ascertained by such forms of its perception as, “I am
ignorant”, “My knowledge is indistinct”. Similarly, the difference of
knowledge (from the Self ) is perceived, and the enlightened people
communicate the knowledge of the Self to others; and so, too, others grasp
it. Accordingly, knowledge and ignorance are to be ranked with name and
form; they are not attributes of the Self.

Further the Katharudra Upanishad, which is quoted by Bhashyakara in Br Up
3.5.1 Bhāṣya, has the following verse

प्रत्यगात्मानमज्ञानमायाशक्तेश्च साक्षिणम् ।
एकं ब्रह्माहमस्मीति ब्रह्मैव भवति स्वयम् ॥ १२॥

pratyagātmānamajñānamāyāśakteśca sākṣiṇam ।
ekaṃ brahmāhamasmīti brahmaiva bhavati svayam ॥ 12॥
He who realizes his own Self, which is the witness of the power called
ignorance and mAyA, knowing
‘I am Brahman alone ’ becomes Brahman Itself

The inner self is the witness of ajñāna shakti. How can this shakti
witnessed by the inner self be abhāva?

with love and prayers,

Jaishankar