[Advaita-l] Binary nature of Jnana

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 01:59:27 EDT 2022

Namaste Venkatramanji, Anandji,

Replying to both in one mail to avoid spamming more!

> > Hastamalaka is one example, I can think of. Many mahatmas like Ramana
> >> Maharshi etc take off rapidly because of the knowledge gained in the
> past
> >> life.
> >>

> > Both were aparokSha jnAnIs, with obstacles.
>
> You mean in their previous births? In their births as Hastamalaka and
> Ramana Maharshi they were aparoksha Jananis WITHOUT any obstacles.

Yes, of course, in their past lives, as the discussion was about past lives!

>>My understanding was that Nididhyasana is for the ajnani also. Could you elaborate
what you mean here?
What is nididhyAsana? It is an abhyAsa. shravaNa gives jnAna, manana
removes doubts regarding such jnAna, so at nididhyAsana which removes
viparItabhAvanA, one has to have jnAna, whereby one can't be an ajnAni
anymore. If an ajnAni does abhyAsa, it would be on aham jIvosmi or
badhosmi! Else it can be a japa of brahmasmi meditation without
understanding! It can be called nirguNa-dhyAna at the very most, but not
nididhyAsana for sure!

--Praveen R. Bhat
That, owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */