[Advaita-l] Binary nature of Jnana

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 01:51:02 EDT 2022

Namaste.

On Mon, Jul 4, 2022 at 11:05 PM Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l <

<<  Now, coming to the point of contention, Sri Chandramouli says "It is
clear
from the above that the term ब्रह्मनिष्ठ (brahmaniShTha) is
applicable to a sAdhaka  (who is not a jnAni) also."

I don't know how it is clear - perhaps he can elucidate >>

I had drawn this conclusion from the subsequent portion of the Bhashya
which was presented in the post. Copied below for ready reference

<< Bhashya further states (which was cited in my earlier posts also in this
thread)

<<  ब्रह्मनिष्ठत्वमेव हि तस्य शमदमाद्युपबृंहितं स्वाश्रमविहितं कर्म ;
यज्ञादीनि च इतरेषाम् ; तद्व्यतिक्रमे च तस्य प्रत्यवायः । >>

<<  brahmaniShThatvameva hi tasya shamadamAdyupabRRiMhitaM svAshramavihitaM
karma ; yaj~nAdIni cha itareShAm ; tadvyatikrame cha tasya pratyavAyaH |  >>

Translation  << The duty of his order of life consists of steadfastness
itself in Brahman, supported by selfcontrol etc., whereas sacrifices etc.,
are the duties for  others; the monk incurs sin by transgressing his own
duties, (as much as others do by transgressing theirs) >>,

The Bhashya observes here that brahmaniShThatvam is the only duty for this
sAdhaka, who is not a jnAni  yet. Hence the conclusion.
Regards