[Advaita-l] Binary nature of Jnana

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 01:23:43 EDT 2022

Namaste Praveen Ji,

What you have said below is a very interesting distinction which I must
confess that I was not aware of. Which texts make such a distinction?

I have seen the term viparItabhAvanA also used for the jnAna pratibandhaka
that prevents the rise of jnAna, and which requires nididhyAsana for its
removal. For reference, please see the Sanskrit Vichara Sagara, topic 27 on
page 18, under the heading निदिध्यासनस्योपयोगः.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On Wed, 6 Jul 2022, 01:47 Praveen R. Bhat, <bhatpraveen at gmail.com> wrote:

> In this case, I think nididhyAsana is acting as dhyAna and countering
> obstacles to jnAna which appears to be parokSha. The very word
> viparItabhAvanA is used for one having jnAna of samyagjnAna. That is why it
> is a bhAvana, like people saying: it may be so, but I don't feel it!

In the case of an ajnAni, the jnAna and bhAvanA both are viparIta to that