[Advaita-l] Functions of the mind

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Jul 8 02:07:15 EDT 2022

On Thu, 30 Jun 2022, KAMESWARARAO MULA wrote:

> Interesting. Although Nyaya/or tarka can't give the control of  the mind due
> to the fact that it is based on anbhuti or pramana or visual evidence. As
> there is no sabda pramana (based on which veda's exsist) .It is subjected to
> limited people's personal choices & there by causing benfefit to some
> people  and disgust to the other opponents.

No Nyaya also accepts the validity of shabda pramana.  They have a
different take on it than Vedanta.

In extreme summary, their argument is:

1.  The verbal testimony of an expert (apta) is authoritative in their
sphere of knowledge.

2. Ishwar being omniescent is the ultimate expert.

3. Ishwar is the author of the Vedas.

4. Therefore the Vedas, being the testimony of the ultimate expert, have
ultimate validity.

> That could be the reason Advaita-Vedanta rejects the tenets of Nyaya/logical
> approaches using Tarkas.

Vedanta following Mimamsa disagrees with the reasoning above.  For a
start, we believe the Vedas are apaurusheya and therefore do not depend on
any God or man for validity.  The conception of Ishwar in Nyaya is
dualistic which is also a problem.  And there are other issues but
enumerating them all would requre more time than I have at the moment.