[Advaita-l] Translations of the Bhagavata

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Mon Jul 18 03:10:25 EDT 2022

[was: Re: Srimad ParamahaMsa ParivrAjakAchAryavaryavarya]

As this is a different topic, I've changed the subject line.

On Sun, 17 Jul 2022, KAMESWARARAO MULA wrote:

> I will do this  as I too obeseved the activites of ISKCON are detriorating
> day by day in all aspects. Yes, these transalations are unreliable and not
> based the original scriptures. I have only little idea about the Bhagavatam
> & the Trnaslations of the toughest slokas,  The main reason why all people
> (including me) visits the ISKCON Websites is it is reachable in english
> immedaitely although unreliable.
>
> Pls suggest some books or references which are in english for the
> translation/bhashya of the Bhavgavata which you feel could be usefull and
> reliable.

My suggestion is to ditch English and look for a translation in some
Indian language that you know.  There will be more choices and higher
quality I'm sure.

Now if you must use English, and I understand why, I'm afraid Prabhupadas
translation that is readily available.  I should add my objection is not
only ideological.  The Bhagavata is supposed to be a rasa shastra but
Prabhupadas translation is clumsy and totally lacking in any poetic
appeal.  It's weird.  What on earth is a "supreme personality of Godhead"
for example?  If you mean bhagavan, say bhagavan.

Anyway, to get back to your question.  One book is "The Bhagavata Purana:
Selected Readings" by Ravi M. Gupta and Kenneth Valpey, (Columbia
University Press 2017.)

The editors are members of ISKCON but also academics and they've tried to
give a non-biased translation.  The problem is as the title suggests, it
is only selected parts, about 10% of the total Bhagavata.