[Advaita-l] Fwd: Avaccheda and Pratibimba illustrations in the Yajnavalkya Smriti

Kuntimaddi Sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 9 09:00:17 EDT 2022

Venkatraghavan:
He quotes the bhAShya to the Sutra 3.2.19 and says that to form a
reflection, a distance between the original and the reflecting medium is
needed, which is not possible in the case of the Atma which happens to be
all pervading (from the bhAShya - न तु आत्मा मूर्तः, न चास्मात्पृथग्भूता
विप्रकृष्टदेशाश्चोपाधयः, सर्वगतत्वात् सर्वानन्यत्वाच्च ।), which is the
same argument as that taittirIya bhAShya above. The grounds for similarity
to a reflection is established in Sutra 3.2.20's bhaShya, where it is said
that like a reflection, the Atma appears to take on the properties of the
upAdhi, when in reality it undergoes no change:
Venkatraghavanji - PraNAms When the scriptures talks about - bahu shyaam, prajaayeyeti - Let me become many and he became many - involves apparent division and also implies individual separation. All at vyaavahaarika level.The pratibimba aspect is needed to indicate the differences in response of the  gross (inert) and subtle material  (conscious). Hence both avacheda - becoming many and exhibiting jeeva jeeva bhinnatvam and accumulation of vaasanas etc., with differing local conscious entities required pratibimba aspect.
As I see - issue of the so-called distance issue between all pervading consciousness and local conscious entities that is being raised  is only trying to mix the paaramaarthika and vaavahaarika aspects. The distance ceases cogntively when the jeeva realizes his paaramaarthika nature.
I do not see why there should be issue at all.
My 2c.
Hari Om!Sadananda