[Advaita-l] Fw: On vAnara, garuDa etc

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Jun 15 03:16:07 EDT 2022

Apologies for the long delay in responding.

On Wed, 13 Apr 2022, Shrinivas Gadkari via Advaita-l wrote:

> Practicing very long jumps, lifting and throwing big rocks was also part of
> vAnara vidyA training.
>
> If we accept that with sufficient yoga training one can develop superhuman
> capabilities, all that I have written here does seem plausible.

Well I shall await any further facts you can find about this.  Bear in
mind that even in terms of "monkeys" we are talking about legendary
supernatural creatures not your usual banana-eating tourist harrassers.

<https://archive.org/stream/in.ernet.dli.2015.528978/2015.528978.ramayana-tra$

<https://archive.org/stream/in.ernet.dli.2015.148293/2015.148293.The-Ramayana$

> It appears Vanaras were superior and different from monkeys. But monkeys
> were also living with Vanaras and working under them.

In light of this and what Srinivas has said, I have decided to follow
course and leave vanara untranslated except where the text explicitly uses
a synonym for monkey.  I will also add a note about the controversy.