[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Pūjāri by Birth (Jāti), or by Qualification (Guṇa)?

Prashant Parikh prashantparikh at gmail.com
Fri May 6 11:39:33 EDT 2022

Thank you, Praveen ji. Your explanation definitely sounds reasonable,

A question I do have is with the absconding of the traditional brahmana
duties, and with fewer and fewer takers for the ordained jAti roles, how do
we see this niche being filled unless we (for lack of a better word) induct
those genuinely interested who may be qualified or may attain that
qualification in due course?

I'd also appreciate if you could weigh in on the following thoughts that I
had shared on a different forum. Please see below:

*The determination of one's own Adhikāra, is best left to the Sampradāyavit
Guru in whom one has Śraddhā. I believe when one becomes an activist for or
against this Adhikāra, especially as a general recommendation to the
public, it is predominantly driven by our biases, and this creates a
pressure in us to rebel against the accepted protocol by seeking exceptions
and extrapolating them as rules, which is overstretching one's ability to
provide a social commentary on the subject when that decision is never ours
to take, but an extremely individualized Upadeśa given from one's guru to
'oneself'. Not to 'another self'.Taking a personal example- I am a Jāti
Vaishya (well, technically born to a Vaiśya father and Brāhmin mother, but
my Guru personalized the upadeśa and said I should follow the patrilineal
svadharma). And I have no qualms in being deemed unqualified to perform
yajnas. I can always defer that responsibility to Brāhmanas to do so. In
fact, as a Vaiśya, my constant attempt is to live up to my Jāti dharma by
engaging in wealth creation activities and seeking new opportunities of
investing in businesses. At some point in life when I had no better ideas,
I even considered setting up a small store and hiring a storekeeper just
for the sake of upholding my Vaiśya duties.Also, in answer to my question
on this subject, my Guru did convey that Jati takes Praadhaanya in Karma
Kānḍa and Guna takes Prādhānya in Jñāna Kānḍa. I take the Guru Upadeśa as
Prasādam, even if it means overriding some of our tendencies that may flow
in the opposite direction*