[Advaita-l] Paul Hacker on Avidya in Brahma Sutras

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Sun May 15 11:22:42 EDT 2022

Namaste

The question of Mula Avidya is discussed extensively in traditional circles
also. It is a misconception to think Mula Avidya as a really existing thing
giving rise to all Avidyas. No disciple of Sankara has said it really
exists. For explaining the world and vyavahara this Avidya is used.

On Sun, May 15, 2022 at 6:41 PM Michael Chandra Cohen via Advaita-l <

> It seems to me any defense of Mulavidya vada would have to account for
> Hacker's exhaustive study. Sengaku Mayeda performed the same analysis on
> Upadesa Sahasri and came to similar conclusions
>

> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nE0s2sFIqc0fYdgto0rGlW16xx6lsNEDJKsWVr6CJPw/edit?usp=sharing

-Venkatesh