[Advaita-l] Paul Hacker on Avidya in Brahma Sutras

Kuntimaddi Sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Sat May 21 12:47:40 EDT 2022

PraNAms to everybody

I have been following the arguments to the extent I canunderstand.

I am not sure why Bhasarji is keeping silent.

In the final analysis, as I see, the fundamentals remain thesame - whether the avidya is bhaava ruupa or abhaava ruupa. The truth is - I donot know my true nature hence I am taking myself other than what I am - I havehalf baked knowledge - I know that I exist and I know that I am a consciousentity - what I do not know is I am also the source of happiness - the lastfact arises since I do not recognize that I am that limitless Brahman (anantam)and scripture says anantam eva anandam - or limitless alone is pureunconditional happiness. Thus not knowing my complete nature, I commit the mistakeof seeking happiness by fulfilling desires and thus get into a vicious circle.If this is the case, would it make any difference if my not knowing fully aboutmyself is bhava ruupa or abhaava ruupa? The solution to the problem remains thesame - I have to know that I am pure Brahman and hence not only I am sat andchit but also ananda swaruupam. End of the story.

However, I would ask one question out of curiosity.Providing three cases.

1. Someone asked me if I know Chemistry. I have never heardof it. I would ask back what is it? I do not know? - He gives me some descriptionsto arise my curiosity and ask me to go a Chemistry teacher to learn. Chemistryknowledge destroys my chemistry ignorance - but of course not my Physicsignorance. Likewise, when someone points out logically that I am the verysource of happiness that I am seeking and to know my true nature scripture asksme to go to that teacher who knows the Self-Knowledge. Of course what good willit do to me, if he knows about himself, since I want to know about myself andnot about his-self?

Anticipating my question, scriptures the self that he knowsthe self in all - sarva bhuutastam aatmanam sarva bhuutani ca aatmani.Convinced by the argument, I naturally try to approach a qualified teacher.

2. I am sitting in a pitch dark room - I cannot seeanything. Someone asked if there is a chair in the room. All I can say is thatI do not know since I cannot see. It may be there or may not be there - theanswer is anirvacaneeyam.

Now I ask is darkness covering the presence of absence ofthe objects so that I cannot see. Is it bhaavaruupa or abhaava ruupa.

Of course, the fellow asks me how do you know that it isdark? I have to say 'I can see it is dark'. Sounds like bhaavaruupa.  I see that I cannot see anything -

3. Another case - In the deep sleep state, ignorance coverseverything since I do not know 'anything' - hence no desire for anything - na kanchana kaamam kaamayata - saysMandukya.

Hence I have a complete absence of all subject-objectduality.

A question was posed in Upadesha sahasree (I think) when thestudent claims that since I do not know anything including the existence ofmyself - it proves that the deep sleep state proves that I am nothing. For thatthe teacher responds - your very question proves your existence in the deepsleep state since you know that you did not know anything during that state.

Is ignorance of everything including myself (my mind, Ipresume here) - is it bhaava ruupa or abhaavaruupa. Next question - would thatmake any difference.

Could not resist posing these questions out of curiosity.

Hari Om!

Sadananda