[Advaita-l] SC stops coronation of Swami Avimukteshwaranand Saraswati as Shankaracharya of Jyotish Peeth

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Nov 9 01:50:16 EST 2022

On Tue, 8 Nov 2022, S Jayanarayanan via Advaita-l wrote:

> This is surprising, to say the least! Does anyone know more about this?
>

> https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/sc-stops-coronation-of-swami-avimukteshwaranand-saraswati-as-shankaracharya-of-jyotish-peeth/article66014458.ece

The dispute over the succession of Jyotirmath goes back to the mid-20th
century.  I had hoped that after the recent patabhisheka of Swami
Sadananda for Dwarka and Swami Avimukteshwaranda for the Jyotirmath, the
whole mess would finally be over but apparently not.

During the original controversy, it was Karpatri Swami, the dean of the
Dashnami sannyasi community in Kashi, who adjudicated the dispute which
ended up with Swami Swarupananda become acharya of Dwarka and Jyotirmath.
This time, it was Swami Swarupananda himself who chose his successors and
the Dashanami akhadas feel that they should have been consulted again.
And Shringeri acharya performing the vidhi is also ruffling some feathers
because it is being seen as Shringeri asserting preeminence whereas all
amnaya maths are equal according to Govardhan math and therefore they
should have been consulted even if just as a formality.

That's my understanding of the situation anyway.