[Advaita-l] Ekadashi (VTCS Rao)

Kaushik Chevendra chevendrakaushik at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 02:02:34 EST 2022

Considering the significance of this pastime, shouldn't it find mentions in
scriptures other than the Mahabharat? Yes, it should and it does. Below are
the cross references of this incident from the Puranas, which unambiguously
establish the authenticity of this incident.

In the Padma Purana, Uttara Khanda, Chapter 194, between verses 2-10, self
Narada Muni states—

O girl, do not be sad in vain. Having placed your mind in your heart,
remember Śrīkṛṣṇa’s lotus-like feet. (By that) you will obtain happiness. That
Kṛṣṇa who protected Draupadī from ignominy from the Kauravas, who looked
after the beautiful cowherdesses, has not gone anywhere (else).

The Narada Mahapurana, which is well known for its consistency of
manuscripts, contains the one thousand holy names of Lord Krishna and
Srimati Radhika, five hundred names of each. The 412th, 414th and 420th
names of Lord Krishna clearly mention this pastime.

Narada Mahapurana, Volume 3, Chapter 82, between verses 101-110, states—

(412) one who keeps up the word of Draupadi, (413) the remover of the fear
from Durvasas, (414) one who arrived immediately after being remembered by
Pancali, (415) the messenger of the sons of Kunti, (416) counsellor of
Parthas, (417) the destroyer of the miseries of the sons of Kunti.

Again, between the verses 111-120, it is mentioned—

(418) The remover of the false prestige of Arjuna, (419) one who granted
life to Partha, (420) one who supplied garment to Pancali, (421) the
protector of the protectors of the world,

Brahmanda Purana, 1st Volume, 3rd Section, Chapter 36 lists out 108 holy
names of Lord Krishna. Verse 34 states—

(67) Saṃsāravairin (one who puts an end to the worldly existence), (68)
Kaṃsāri (the enemy of Kaṃsa), (69) Murāri (the enemy of Mura), (70)
Narakāntaka (the slayer of demon Naraka), (71) Anādibrahmacārin (one who is
an eternal celibate or a religious student) (72) Kṛṣṇāvyasanakarṣaka (one
who dispelled the distresses of Kṛṣṇā i.e. Draupadī).

Moreover Srimad Bhagavatam, the Lion among the Puranas and a prime text on
the life of Lord Krishna, provides an indirect mention of this
incident. In Srimad
Bhagavatam 1.8.24, self Kunti Devi states—

My dear Kṛṣṇa, Your Lordship has protected us from a poisoned cake, from a
great fire, from cannibals, from the vicious assembly, from sufferings
during our exile in the forest and from the battle where great generals
fought. And now You have saved us from the weapon of Aśvatthāmā.

Did Krishna save Draupadi?
Answer
10
Follow
Request
Details
More
All related (35)
Recommended
[image: Profile photo for Shree Keshava]
<https://www.quora.com/profile/Shree-Keshava>
Shree Keshava
<https://www.quora.com/profile/Shree-Keshava>
 ·
Follow
Updated 1y
<https://www.quora.com/During-the-Mahabharata-Krishna-saved-Draupadi-from-Cheer-Haran-It-is-now-done-everyday-and-everywhere-Where-is-Lord-Krishna-now/answer/Shree-Keshava>
Related
During the Mahabharata, Krishna saved Draupadi from Cheer Haran. It is now
done everyday and everywhere. Where is Lord Krishna now?
<https://www.quora.com/During-the-Mahabharata-Krishna-saved-Draupadi-from-Cheer-Haran-It-is-now-done-everyday-and-everywhere-Where-is-Lord-Krishna-now>

Because we are not Aladdin and he is not our genie

Lord Krishna being Supreme Personality of godhead is not a toy to play
with. When bad times come, we ask his help and when good time comes, we
forget him. Actually when I was small, I always believed that Gods are
meant to fulfil the desires of we people, but actually it's reverse. We are
meant to serve God. Everybody have to bear , according to their karma. He
saves one from actions of karma who Surrender to him.Draupadi Devi was an
ardent devotee of Lord Krishna.

When Draupadi was in danger because the Pandavas lost in dice and
Yudhisthir had
Continue Reading
876
29
34
[image: Profile photo for HealthifyMe]
<https://www.quora.com/profile/HealthifyMe-2>
HealthifyMe
<https://www.quora.com/profile/HealthifyMe-2>
 ·
Follow
India's #1 Health and Wellness AppMar 2
<https://www.quora.com/Do-weight-loss-supplements-help-you-lose-weight/answer/HealthifyMe-2>
Promoted
Do weight loss supplements help you lose weight?
<https://www.quora.com/Do-weight-loss-supplements-help-you-lose-weight>

People believe that supplements in powdered form, shake, and liquid fillers
can help you lose weight. It is a myth; supplements might give you a boost
of energy at that needed time, for example, a pre or post-workout. But you
cannot solely depend on these for weight loss.

The weight loss supplement industry is massive. The primary reason why
supplements might work for some people is the placebo effect. People fall
for the marketing tactics and want the supplements to help them lose
weight. Don’t forget to consult a nutritionist before choosing your
supplements.

If you're unsure where to begin, c
Continue Reading
68
7
2
[image: Profile photo for Lakshmi Telidevara]
<https://www.quora.com/profile/Lakshmi-Telidevara>
Lakshmi Telidevara
<https://www.quora.com/profile/Lakshmi-Telidevara>
 ·
Follow
Studying Vyasa Bharat again and again.2y
<https://www.quora.com/Why-did-Krishna-not-marry-Draupadi/answer/Lakshmi-Telidevara>
Related
Why did Krishna not marry Draupadi?
<https://www.quora.com/Why-did-Krishna-not-marry-Draupadi>

Thanks for A2A

Soumyadip Ray…Just read your answer for the question you only asked if I am
not wrong.

Here I am with my answer based on Vyasa Bharat. Not Bheel Bharat .

Reasons Why Krishna did not participate in Swayamvara and marry Draupadi.

   1. Krishna wanted Arjuna to win Draupadi. So he or any of the Yadava
   warriors did not participate in the contest. Southern Edition clearly told
   in Adiparva that Krishna wanted Arjuna to win Draupadi.
   2. Drupada got Draupadi born from the sacrificial fire to get her
   married to Arjun. All the versions including Bori validated this fact.
   3. Krishna and Draupadi got to know

Continue Reading
209
6
17
[image: Profile photo for Krishnasakhi]
<https://www.quora.com/profile/Krishnasakhi-2>
Krishnasakhi
<https://www.quora.com/profile/Krishnasakhi-2>
 ·
Follow
Studied at Convent SchoolsAug 19
<https://www.quora.com/What-are-Krishnas-feelings-for-Draupadi/answer/Krishnasakhi-2>
Related
What are Krishna's feelings for Draupadi?
<https://www.quora.com/What-are-Krishnas-feelings-for-Draupadi>

The feelings of Shri Krishna for Draupadi were of friendship. They were
best friends, she was the wife of Shri Krishna's friend(Arjun).

After the marriage of Subhadra and Arjun Krishna stayed at Indraprastha for
few days and thats when Draupadi would've met him. Arjun introduced her to
Krishna. And that is the start of their Friendship.

Shri Krishna, Arjun,Draupadi Subhadra, would go on picnics and sport on the
banks of river, they would talk, laugh,sing and dance together in joy.
Draupadi and Subhadra would shower their maids with gifts and enjoy the day.

During the horrific day of Dyut sabha, w
Continue Reading
280
3
Sponsored by DFIX
DIFX, world’s first fully insured cross-asset trading platform.
DIFX is the world’s fully insured cross-asset trading platform. All-in-one
solution for digital currency.
Learn More
39
Related questions (More answers below)
During the Mahabharata, Krishna saved Draupadi from Cheer Haran. It is now
done everyday and everywhere. Where is Lord Krishna now?
<https://www.quora.com/During-the-Mahabharata-Krishna-saved-Draupadi-from-Cheer-Haran-It-is-now-done-everyday-and-everywhere-Where-is-Lord-Krishna-now>
How did Krishna help Draupadi during vastraharan? Explain it scientifically
because no one can do magic over it as it is shown in the TV shows.
<https://www.quora.com/How-did-Krishna-help-Draupadi-during-vastraharan-Explain-it-scientifically-because-no-one-can-do-magic-over-it-as-it-is-shown-in-the-TV-shows>
If Karna had all 5 qualities of Pandavas, which was desired by Draupadi,
then why didn't Krishna reveal the real identity of Karna in Swayamvara and
let him marry Draupadi?
<https://www.quora.com/If-Karna-had-all-5-qualities-of-Pandavas-which-was-desired-by-Draupadi-then-why-didnt-Krishna-reveal-the-real-identity-of-Karna-in-Swayamvara-and-let-him-marry-Draupadi>
Ask new question
[image: Profile photo for Debashis]
<https://www.quora.com/profile/Debashis-43>
Debashis
<https://www.quora.com/profile/Debashis-43>
 ·
Follow
StudentUpdated Jan 19
<https://www.quora.com/Did-Krishna-save-Draupadi/answer/Debashis-43>

Jay Sriman Narayana!

Without a speck of doubt, he did.

This incident is traceable in, more or less, all the major versions of
Mahabharat, has got references in many other scriptures and even garner
succinct mentions by Vedantins and Acaryas of both ancient and medieval
era. Hence, its non-inclusion in the direct narrative within a single
edition does not snatch away its authenticity. This answer is categorized
into two major parts, wherein we will go through—

   - Verses from the scriptures clearly mentioning Devi Draupadi's prayers
   to the Lord and/or Lord Krishna being her saviour.
   - References provided by our venerable Acaryas on this matter.

------------------------------

[...]

Srila Prabhupada, in the purport of the above verse, confirms—

Once Bhīma was administered poison in a cake, once they were put into the
house made of shellac and set afire, and once Draupadī was dragged out, and
attempts were made to insult her by stripping her naked in the vicious
assembly of the Kurus. The Lord saved Draupadī by supplying an immeasurable
length of cloth, and Duryodhana’s party failed to see her naked.

Apart from the Puranas, it is mentioned in an ancient work called
“Mumukhshupaadi” written in the 10th century and Andhra Mahabharatam of the
13th century. Plus, it has plenty of cross references to it avaliable in
the BORI Critical Edition itself. For example, in Udyoga Parva, Bhagwat
Yana Parva, Chapter 80, Devi Draupadi herself says—

While the Kouravas, the Panchalas and the Vrishnis were alive, I was
brought to the middle of the assembly hall and made a servant maid to those
evil ones. The Pandus looked at me, without any anger and without making
any effort. O Govinda! I thought of you in my mind, wishing that you might
save me.

Some might object here that a mere thought doesn't amount to a prayer. For
them, here is a reference from the Virat Parva, Yana-Sandhi Parva, Chapter
58, where the Lord himself mentions Draupadi to have cried out his name(s)—

That old debt is still impaled in my heart, because I have not repaid it. When
I was far away, Krishna cried out, ‘Govinda!’