[Advaita-l] ​Re: [advaitin] A talk on avidyA by Manjushree

Michael Chandra Cohen michaelchandra108 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 09:58:47 EST 2022

I took up with Smt. Manjushree Hegde and she was kind enough to clarify as
follows: ""Let me reframe Jaishankarji’s argument for clarity’s sake:
Very clearly, Jaishankarji’s points out that every vyākhyānakāra argues
that mūlāvidyā exists as long as the world is perceptible, and does not
exist ultimately (pāramārthika-standpoint). No vyākhyānakāra argues that it
exists ultimately (for this would negate “advaita”).
Jaishankarji also pointed out that the world appears for a jīvan-mukta too
– he eats, sleeps, and moves like any ordinary person; he addresses the
questions of sādhaka-s, and sometimes, his body suffers diseases like
cancer, etc. According to the vyākhyānakāra-s, the only way to account for
the jivanmukta who exists in this world, and participates in it, is
mūlāvidyā.
Thus, according to the vyākhyānakāra-s, mūlāvidyā (the cause) shares the
nature of the world (the effect) – it is non-existent (ultimately); but as
long as the world appears, its operation is in play.
I hope I have not misrepresented the pūrvapakṣa here? If I have, then I’m
entirely willing to correct myself.
Let me articulate Swamiiji’s position.
According to the above arguments, we must accept that a jivanmukta – while
he understands that the world is only a play — operates in it on the basis
of mūlāvidyā. It is only after videhamukti that the “play” entirely
disappears. What is the pramāṇa for the statement that the play will,
indeed, disappear after videhamukti? Only śruti.
And this, right here, is Swamiji’s problem. When/if we accept mūlāvidyā, we
cannot rely on anubhava pramāṇa (whose anubhava, what pramāṇa?); we must
resort to “argument from authority”— śruti pramāṇa. And this cuts across
the very foundation of advaita-vedānta, and reduces it to another school of
philosophy that demands faith/belief for it to be true.
Advaita vedānta stands on anubhava-pramāṇa, it does not require śruti for
it to be true. Its sanctity lies in the fact that it is verifiable here&now.
If mūlāvidyā exists in the three states of jāgrat, svapna and suṣupti— and
it also exists in a jivanmukta — and only does not exist only in
videhamukti, how is this verifiable in my experience?
---------------------
When the vyākhyānakāra argues for a mūlāvidyā that exists in suṣupti and in
a jivanmukta, on what basis is this statement made? On indriyānubhava.
Which belongs to the field of avidyā. Conclusions that are drawn using
faulty instruments can only be faulty.
I’d be happy to elaborate on this point if it is required.
-----------------------
I agree that vyākhyānakāra-s rely on adhyāropāpavāda to elucidate their
points— but the application of the method is carried out differently by
them.
Very beautifully, Jaishankarji pointed out that the vyākhyānakāra-s teach
that kārya-kāraṇa is only an adhyāropa, and ultimately (from the
pāramārthika-standpoint), the labels stand negated, and this is apavāda.
Yes, for the vyākhyānakāra-s, the “apavāda” occurs only in videhamukti. The
adhyāropa is ontologically accepted until such a moment occurs. This
understanding is vastly different from adhyāropāpavāda as a strictly
pedagogical technique that by śruti is used to draw the sādhaka-s attention
to his ever-existing anubhava. Swamiji takes the latter position, and the
traditional advaitins take the former.
I could have perhaps articulated this better in my talk. My apologies."

On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 2:16 PM Jaishankar Narayanan via Advaita-l <