[Advaita-l] [advaitin] The nature of mUlAvidyA as per mUlAvidyAvAdins

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 02:34:43 EST 2022

Namaste Sudhanshu Ji,

Reg << A shloka by Sureshwar puts to rest all confusions regarding nature
of avidyA

अस्य द्वैतेन्द्रजालस्य यदुपादानकारणम्।
अज्ञानं तदुपाश्रित्य ब्रह्मकारणमुच्यते।।
(BrihadAraNyaka BhAshya VArtika by SureshwarAchArya)

In this important shloka which is quoted by several AchAryAs of advaita
tradition including NeelakaNtha, Madhusudana Saraswati etc,
SureshwarAchArya states the following:-

The material cause of this magical duality is ajnAna. Brahman is said to be
cause on account of the superimposition of that ajnAna (in Brahman).

People who posit ajnAna to be abhAva need to explain how abhAva can be
upAdAna kAraNam (of anything) >>,

This  shloka is commented upon in his (Sri SSS) independent exhaustive
treatise called क्लेशापहारिणि (kleshApahAriNi) on Swami Sureswaracharya’s
Naishkarmya Siddhi ,shloka 3-7. He dismisses the above view squarely and
presents his own view. Not that my understanding is the same as his view.
But just to set records straight.

I could not locate the shloka cited by JN Ji in Naishkarmya Siddhi. Please
provide the reference.

Regards

On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 8:27 AM Jaishankar Narayanan via Advaita-l <