[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Caricature of Advaita, Shankaracharya, etc. by the Gaudiya head

Vishesh Bhat visheshlives at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 06:42:19 EDT 2022

My apologies for wading into this discussion and hijacking it. But as a
student of Advaita, I have failed to explain to anyone who has asked me,
where does Maya come from? I understand asking why Maya exists is wrong as
Maya is unreal, so the question of existence is moot. But what is the need
for this transactional/Vyavaharika reality in the first place? I see the
cycle of Jiva as a result of Karma but Karma is valid when in the Jiva
cycle. What is the purpose of the Jiva cycle itself ?  I thought at first
Srishti "is" because without that there can be no experience of anything,
but then the question arises if Srishti is the result of a desire in
Brahman to "experience". That is also a confusing thought as Brahman can
have no desire. Please help me understand.

On Tue, 18 Oct 2022 at 18:46, Kaushik Chevendra via Advaita-l <