[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Asked of Chatgpt: "Are there any definitions or descriptions that depict a positive ignorance in Sankara's commentary on the Brahma Sutras or classic 10 Upanishads whether in context or otherwise?

Michael Chandra Cohen michaelchandra108 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 04:28:35 EDT 2024

Sudhanshu ji, here is Chatgpt on my query, " just consult suresvara's texts
alone to determine his position on avidya as positive or otherwise "

To determine Suresvara's position on avidya (ignorance) by consulting his
texts alone, I'll summarize key points from his major works: the
*Naiskarmya Siddhi*, the *Brhadaranyaka Upanishad Vartika*, and the
*Taittiriya Upanishad Vartika*.

### Naiskarmya Sid
In the *Naiskarmya Siddhi*, Suresvara focuses on the nature of liberation
(moksha) and the role of knowledge (jnana) in overcoming ignorance.

**Key Points:**
1. **Nature of Avidya:**
   - Suresvara consistently describes avidya as the root cause of bondage
and suffering because it veils the true nature of the self (Atman/Brahman).
   - Avidya is often characterized by a lack of discernment between the
self and the non-self, leading to superimposition (adhyasa).

2. **Removal of Avidya:**
   - Suresvara emphasizes that the removal of avidya is achieved through
self-knowledge (jnana).
   - He often refers to avidya in terms of ignorance or not-knowing, rather
than a substantive, positive entity.

**Relevant Verses:**
- **Naiskarmya Siddhi 1.43:** "The cessation of ignorance is brought about
by the realization of the true nature of the self, just as darkness is
dispelled by light."
- **Naiskarmya Siddhi 1.50:** "Knowledge alone destroys ignorance, just as
the light of a lamp dispels darkness."

### Brhadaranyaka Upanishad Vartika

In the *Brhadaranyaka Upanishad Vartika*, Suresvara elaborates on the
teachings of the *Brhadaranyaka Upanishad* and Shankara's commentary.

**Key Points:**
1. **Definition of Avidya:**
   - Suresvara often defines avidya as the ignorance that causes the
misidentification of the self with the non-self.
   - He characterizes avidya as a lack of knowledge, which leads to the
superimposition of the attributes of the non-self onto the self.

2. **Superimposition (Adhyasa):**
   - Avidya is responsible for adhyasa, where the attributes of the body,
mind, and world are falsely attributed to the self.
   - The process of removing avidya involves the direct realization of the
self's true nature.

**Relevant Verses:**
- **Brhadaranyaka Upanishad Vartika 1.4.328:** "Avidya is the ignorance
that misidentifies the self with the non-self. It is dispelled by the
knowledge of the self."
- **Brhadaranyaka Upanishad Vartika 2.1.20:** "The self, veiled by
ignorance, appears as the non-self. Knowledge reveals the self as it truly
is."

### Taittiriya Upanishad Vartika

In the *Taittiriya Upanishad Vartika*, Suresvara continues to expound on
the nature of the self and the role of knowledge in overcoming ignorance.

**Key Points:**
1. **Avidya as Lack of Knowledge:**
   - Suresvara describes avidya as the fundamental ignorance of the self's
true nature.
   - He consistently emphasizes that avidya is an absence of true knowledge
rather than a positive, substantive force.

2. **Role of Knowledge:**
   - The realization of the self's true nature through knowledge is the
primary means of dispelling avidya.
   - Suresvara often uses metaphors of light and darkness to illustrate the
relationship between knowledge and ignorance.

**Relevant Verses:**
- **Taittiriya Upanishad Vartika 1.6.1:** "Avidya, the ignorance of the
self, is dispelled by the light of knowledge, just as darkness is dispelled
by the rising sun."
- **Taittiriya Upanishad Vartika 2.1.3:** "Knowledge of the self removes
the veil of ignorance, revealing the self as pure consciousness."

### Conclusion

Based on the examination of Suresvara's major works—the *Naiskarmya
Siddhi*, the *Brhadaranyaka Upanishad Vartika*, and the *Taittiriya
Upanishad Vartika*—it is evident that Suresvara consistently views avidya
as a lack of knowledge rather than a positive, substantive entity. His
writings emphasize that avidya is the ignorance of the true nature of the
self, and it is dispelled through the attainment of self-knowledge.

Thus, Suresvara's position on avidya aligns with the traditional Advaita
Vedanta view that ignorance is an absence of knowledge, which is removed by
realizing the self's true nature.