[Advaita-l] The source of the word Dvija in Vedas

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Jul 23 13:16:10 EDT 2024

On Mon, 22 Jul 2024, K Ram via Advaita-l wrote:

> Pranams to all the experts in the group. This maybe slightly off topic from
> a strict Advaitic or Vedantic standpoint,

Any subject related to Smarta sampradaya is on topic for this list.

> but I'm trying to find the source
> of the word "Dvija" being mentioned in Vedas either in Karma Kanda or
> Upasana Kanda.
>
> Since Dvija sets the tone for all of Purva Mimamsa practices and rituals,
> I'm trying find the Shastra Pramanam for it in Vedas. To be clear, I've
> seen it being mentioned in Manu Smriti but not in Shruthi (including the
> Upanishads) and hence the need for clarity.

Purva Mimamsa talks about shrauta vidhis (actually only some of them)
because they are the archetypes of all volitional action.  The principles
can be applied mutatis mutandis to non-vedic or even laukika karmas.

To answer your question, the upanayanabrahmana of shatapathabrahmana
implies that the brahmachari is reborn through the Savitri (i.e. Gayatri)
mantra.  I don't recall the exact word dvija being used but that rebirth
is the concept behind that term.  The function of smrti is to fill in the
gaps where shruti leaves some detail unsaid or understated.

Incidentally, in the Bhagavatpurana, the term trija is also used.
The commentator Shridhar Swami explains that when a person (perforce a
dvija) takes diksha in a somayagna he is also said to be born again.

The last time we discussed this it was also pointed out that in
upanishads the third birth is when a man dies and is born in another womb.