[Advaita-l] what is the technical definition of Drik in Advaita?

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 06:18:42 EDT 2024

Pranams Sadananda Ji,

I am aware of your many posts earlier on also to the same effect. I had not
participated in those threads as my understanding was very different and I
was not keen on entering into long drawnout debates. But since you are now
responding to my post, I feel obliged to state my position on the same.

Firstly, and primarily, I think the *pure Consciouness* you are referring
to addressing Sakshi chaitanyam should really be termed **
अज्ञातचैतन्य (aj~nAtachaitanya)
(Uncognized Chaitanya) **. In my understanding it is not Shuddha Chaitanya
(pure Consciouness ). It is **veiled** or आवरण सहित चैतन्य (AvaraNa sahita
chaitanya ).

Reg  // Similarly, Sakshi-Chaitanyam is that part of the all-pervading
consciousness that is 'as though' getting reflected by the thought and in
the case of 'thoughtless mind, the mind itself as Chidaabhaasa' //,

Not exactly. Sakshi-Chaitanyam also illumines or reveals during, and as
part of, the thought process  the triad of reflected
consciousness/vritti/*captured* object.

Reg para 5 of your post, Realization involves destruction of the *veil* of
the sAkshi which is अज्ञातचैतन्य (aj~nAtachaitanya) (Uncognized Chaitanya)
in my understanding.

This in brief is perhaps where our respective understandings seem to be
different. I have not gone into all the aspects you have covered in your
post for the sake of brevity. I hope it has not turned out to be a rambling
note. The problem I faced was how to restrict the scope of the response to
a limited topic/s. If there is any incoherence, please do point out and I
will clarify to the best of my ability.

Pranams and Regards