[Advaita-l] Question on why "vedadhyayana"?

Sri Kumar skumarrandd at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 22:37:13 EDT 2024

Hari Om.
Very impressive! Not sure if your intent is to discuss oral tradition or
purpose of “vedādhyayana.”

Maybe (😊) consider what Nārada says and the response he gets - Chāndogya U
7.1.2-3

ṛgvedaṃ bhagavo'dhyemi yajurvedaṃ sāmavedamātharvaṇaṃ
caturthamitihāsapurāṇaṃ pañcamaṃ vedānāṃ vedaṃ pitryaṃ rāśiṃ daivaṃ nidhiṃ
vākovākyamekāyanaṃ devavidyāṃ brahmavidyāṃ bhūtavidyāṃ kṣattravidyāṃ
nakṣatravidyāṃ sarpadevajanavidyāmetadbhagavo'dhyemi ॥ 2 ॥

so'haṃ bhagavo man‍travidevāsmi nātmavicchrutaṃ hyeva me
bhagavaddṛśebhyastarati śokamātmaviditi so'haṃ bhagavaḥ śocāmi taṃ mā
bhagavāñchokasya pāraṃ tārayatviti taṃ hovāca yadvai kiñcaitadadhyagīṣṭhā
nāmaivaitat ॥ 3 ॥

'Revered sir, I know the ṛg veda, the yajur veda, the sāma veda, and the
atharva the fourth, the itihasa-purana the fifth, the veda of the vedas,
the code of the worship of the manes, mathematics, the science of destiny,
the science of treasures, logic (vākovākyam) code of ethics (ekāyanaṃ),
etymology (devavidyāṃ - nirukta), the ancillary knowledge of the vedas
(brahmavidyā), the physical science (bhūtavidyā), the science of archery
(kṣattravidyā), the science of the stars (nakṣatravidyā), the science of
serpents, and I know them all. Revered sir, I know all the verses
(mantras), but I know not the ātma-vidya. From revered sirs such as
yourself, I have heard that one who knows the Self transcends all anguish.
I am anguished sir! May you be pleased, revered sir, to lead me beyond
anguish.’ In reply, he (sanatkumara) said, ‘whatever you know is only a
name.’  (2-3)

🕉

On Thu, Jun 20, 2024 at 9:59 PM Krishna Kashyap via Advaita-l <