[Advaita-l] mRtyunjaya mantra commentary

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri May 3 18:26:44 EDT 2024

On Wed, 24 Apr 2024, Raghav Kumar Dwivedula wrote:

> Regarding the second meaning  of tryambaka as referring to ambA, ambikA and
> ambAlikA - is Shiva being praised as the consort of all the three feminine
> Shaktis ? Usually (unlike Mahavishnu), Shiva is regarded as associated only
> with a single consort Devi (who may have many manifestations): but Shiva
> himself is not usually depicted as having three consorts.

I should clarify that this was speculation on my part.  The sUkta that
contains mR^ityu~njaya mantra starts with a R^ik that mentions rudrabhagaH
(i.e. bhagInI "sister") and further clarifies that she is his svasR^i
(also sister) ambikA.  I put two and two together and connected it to The
mantra mentioning ambA, ambikA, and ambAlikA.  However this occurs
elsewhere.  During the ashvamedha it is recited over the kings wives (who
may be more or less than three.)  In the Mahabharata, ambA, ambikA, and
ambAlikA are three (human) sisters.

These are also names in popular usage for mahAdevI who is portrayed as the
wife of Shiva Bhagavan.  So does "having three Ambas" refer to three
sisters, three wives or even three mothers? (the etymological meaning of
ambA)  Or yet another possibility is that ambA etc. are not proper names
but honorifics as we would show respect to a woman today by calling her
bA, ammA etc.