[Chaturamnaya] Teachings on the Vijaya Yatra - Charity and Humility

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 5 11:17:16 CDT 2013

http://vijayayatra.sringeri.net/gobichettipalayam-march-12-2012/
Gobichettipalayam: MARCH 12 – 15, 2012

Pratishtha Kumbhabhisheka at new Shankara Math in Gobichettipalayam

On arrival at Gobichettipalayam on 12th March evening, Jagadguru Shankaracharya Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamiji
was received in the traditional manner with Poornakumbha Swagata. In His Anugraha Bhashanam to bless the devotees,
the Jagadguru mentioned about the relationship between the Acharyas and Gobichettipalayam. The Jagadguru mentioned
that while He and His Guru had graced Gobichettipalayam many times, His Parameshti Guru,
Jagadguru Sri Sacchidananda Shivabhinava Nrisimha Bharati Mahaswamiji had observed Chaturmasya at
Gobichettipalayam in 1907 after setting out from Sringeri towards Kalady, and His Parama Guru,
Jagadguru Sri Chandrashekhara Bharati Mahaswamiji had observed Chaturmasya at Gobichettipalayam in 1924.

On 14th March, the Jagadguru did the Prasthishta Kumbhabhisheka of Lord Mahaganapati, Sri Adi Shankara and
Goddess Sharada at the new Shankara Math.  Blessing the gathering with an Anugraha Bhashanam, the Jagadguru said
that human birth is extolled in the Shastras because only humans have the capacity to adhere to Dharma. It is
natural to question what constitutes Dharma and how one can be a Dharmika. One has to follow certain principles
to be a Dharmika. The Mahaswamiji said one should never be proud of one’s wealth, youth, education or power.
Have we not seen people, who were once healthy, fall down to being ordinary citizens? Bhima’s pride in his power
was humbled when he tried in vain to move the tail of Hanuman, who had assumed the form of an elderly monkey.

If one is an Astika (one who has faith in the Vedas, existence of God, Dharma, the existence of other lokas, and
in rebirth), one must engage in charity. The Shastras say,

 यद्ददासि विशिष्टेभ्यः यदश्नासि दिने दिने ।
 तत्ते वित्तमहं मन्ये परमन्यस्य रक्षसि ॥

“Only that wealth which is given as charity or is enjoyed can be classified as yours. You only serve as a protector
of all other wealth even if you think it is yours.”

We arrange a number of offerings for the worship of the Lord. The Lord needs none of these. However, our offerings
are for our own good. Charity too ultimately results in our Shreyas. Man enters the world with no possessions,
and leaves the world too so. Hence it is wise to use all that is acquired between birth and death in service of man
and towards meritorious deeds. The Shruti (Veda) says

 मोघमन्नं विन्दते अप्रचेताः । सत्यं ब्रवीमि वध यित्स तस्य । नार्यमणं पुष्यति नो सखायम् । केवलाघो भवति केवलादी ।
– “If one does not use his wealth in the service of man or God, he incurs sin.”

Even when engaging in charity or good deeds, one must never publicize it as the Shastras says “धर्मः क्षरति कीर्तनात्”.
Does not the Lord know when you perform charity?

The Jagadguru remembered the visit of His Guru Jagadguru Sri Abhinava Vidyatirtha Mahaswamijil to Gobichettipalayam
recounting that His Guru had stayed from 22nd Dec 1958 to 14th Jan 1959 and then went to Satyamangalam.

On 15th morning, the Jagadguru graced the Sharada Vidyalaya school and blessed the children. The children were
elated when the Jagadguru Himself taught them the shloka on Adi Shankaracharya “Shruti Smriti Puraanaam …” and
directed that it be part of their daily prayers.