[Chaturamnaya] Jagadguru Speaks: Do Not Provoke Holy Men

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 3 18:33:29 CDT 2013

http://kanchi-sathya.org/images/Jagadguru%20Speaks1.jpg

Holy men have a lot of patience. That is their greatness. Even if we err in our behaviour
towards them, they will ignore it and treat us with all kindness.

Some people mistake this patience for inability and think that the holy people are like that
because of helplessness. And they persist in their inappropriate behaviour.

But there is a limit to even such patience. If it is transgressed, we will have to incur the
wrath of the great people.

In the Mahabharata, Sisupala was abusing Krishna Paramatma non-stop. Bhagavan tolerated it for
a considerable time. But Sisupala did not stop his vituperation. Ultimately, the Lord's
Sudarshana Chakra destroyed him.

Take another example. The sweet smell which the sandalwood tree emits pleases the mind.
Also sandal paste keeps the body cool. But even that sandalwood tree emits fire when there is
excessive friction from other trees.

Hence we should not underestimate the patience of holy men. On the other hand, we must give
them the utmost respect.

  tejasvini kShamopete naatikaarkashyamaacharet.h .
  atinirmathanaadvahinaH chandanaadapi jaayate ..