[Chaturamnaya] Life and Teachings of His Holiness Jagadguru Sri Abhinava Vidyateertha Mahaswamigal - 3

S Jayanarayanan via Chaturamnaya chaturamnaya at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Wed Oct 22 11:29:14 CDT 2014

(Continued from previous post)

http://svbf.org/journal/vol4no1/Mahasannidhanam.pdf

Signs of a Perfect Sage

The Acharya’s life was a living testimony to the scriptural declarations regarding a perfect sage.
He belonged to the sacred line of preceptors which began with Sankara Bhagavatpada. His Guru was the
great sage, Sri Chandrasekhara Bharati Mahaswami, a universally renowned jivanmukta.
The term ‘Acharya’ refers to one who has understood the meaning of the scriptures, himself practices
what is stipulated there and induces others to follow suit. This definition is perfectly applicable
to our Acharya. Ever since he became a disciple of his Guru, Acharya had the habit of reading the
Atmavidya Vilasam. One of the verses in it is as follows:
“The chief of recluses does not relinquish what has come to him, nor does he desire at any time
for what has not come to him. He lays himself down enjoying the internal bliss of the Self.”
The Acharya had an immense regard for this work and to appreciate this one only has to hear the
words uttered by him during the celebrations of his 61st Jayanti at Madras.
On that occasion he said, “It is incumbent upon a king performing the Rajasuya Yoga to hear his
praise for some time. I am no monarch but an ascetic. There is no obligation on a sannyasi to hear
his own praise and, in fact, it is not advisable. Further, I am not in the least interested in
being eulogized. But here I am sitting in a Sabha wherein people are praising me. You are all
deriving pleasure by glorifying me and are keen that I should be present. I have nothing to gain
by praise or lose by criticism. Hence I am not raising any objections to the celebrations and
am present as a witness.”
The Acharya’s realization of the Supreme was so strong that even when given an injection of
morphine during a cardiac illness, he continued to lisp in a semi-conscious mind words indicative
of absolute heights. If, having obtained the rewarding vision of such a Guru, one were to hear
the truth from him, cogitate on it and fix one’s mind on it with concentration, then one’s gain
will be limitless and he may even obtain the very realization of the Self from him.
Some of his disciples, the recipients of his grace, have explicitly stated that they have a
sense of total satisfaction. They feel that they have accomplished all that needs to be done
and are permanently in a state from which they cannot be shaken by any sorrow. Therefore,
a recounting of the divine life of our Guru in his human form will confer unlimited benefits to us.

2. Treasure House of Divine Qualities

“The river of tendencies flows along the auspicious and inauspicious paths. By manly effort it
must be led to the auspicious path.”
Such is the advice given to an immortal like Sri Rama in the Yoga Vasishtha. In the case of
Srinivasan, due to the fullness of the incarnation, divine tendencies were innate.
Srinivasan was born to Venkatalakhmi Ammal on November 13, 1917 (the day being Diwali). He had his
primary education in the Municipal Primary School and then studied up to the eight standard at
the Arya Vidyasala at Bangalore.

Maharishi Gautama has spoken of eight Atma Gunas or personal qualities that every individual
should cultivate. He has listed them as: compassion towards all beings, forbearance, purity,
absence of stinginess and freedom from burden, jealousy, laziness and attachment. Many incidents
in the life of the Acharya amply illustrate the fact that he possessed all the Atma Gunas.
Srinivasan’s intention was never to cause pain to another. When he saw suffering, be it man or beast,
his heart melted and he would try to set things right.

(To be continued)