[Chaturamnaya] Life and Teachings of His Holiness Jagadguru Sri Abhinava Vidyateertha Mahaswamigal - 22

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 24 13:18:20 CDT 2015

(Continued from previous post)

http://svbf.org/journal/vol4no3-4/teachings.pdf

PART 9: TEACHINGS OF THE JAGADGURU

1. It is a pity that when many of us are asked, “who are you?” The first thought that arises is
“I am a Keralite,” or “I am a Punjabi.” If people feel that they are Indians, only then the nation
will have great prosperity and the divisive forces will not be operative as they are today.

2. Our nation and its culture have a hoary past and we should all be proud of it. Mere aping
of the West is not beneficial for us. For example, care of the aged parents has come down to us
traditionally and we must never neglect this duty by imbibing concepts of some free societies,
wherein concern for one’s own parents is at low ebb.

3. By God’s grace, we have obtained a human birth, the power of discrimination and someone to
teach us about ultimate truth. If we still remain lazy, we will be wasting a marvelous opportunity.

4. Tendencies develop, regardless of the characteristics of the action performed. Hence, he who
wishes to lead a proper life will do well to avoid evil deeds and repeatedly perform virtuous deeds.

5. An ideal disciple will indeed act as per the Guru’s instructions and not give place to
thoughts, such as ‘Is it possible for me to do as he says? Shall I try something else?’ If we follow
our Guru’s instructions, it does not mean that we are unintelligent. It only implies that we have
surrendered for our own good to a power superior to us.

6. The light of a lamp falls on its surroundings. One may study Sastras in that light, while
another may, paying no attention to it, spend time sleeping. Similarly, great souls are always
showering their grace. Each one can derive benefit depending on one’s mentality.

7. The best disciple directly understands what his guru desires him to do even without the
preceptor actually telling him anything. By devotion to the preceptor one attains the highest goal.
If one has single-minded devotion to one’s preceptor like Ekalavya (who attained magnificent
proficiency in archery by virtue of his faith in Dronacharya even without the latter actually
teaching him anything), one need not have any fear regarding one’s spiritual progress.

8. When tendencies nurtured in the previous birth are the same as those in the present birth,
then obstacles to a course of action are negligible. On the other hand, when past and present trends
are at variance, the course of action is decided by the one which is the stronger. If one tries hard
enough, one can certainly overcome the past tendencies. How hard one must try cannot be determined
beforehand. Only when obstacles arise one must try hard till one succeeds.

9. It is ridiculous to suppose that Prarabdha can be more powerful than one’s will. The reason
for this is that Prarabdha itself is a result of one’s will. What one performed guided by one’s will
in the previous births, is what is now appearing as fate. What one has brought about due to exercise
of will power in the present birth can certainly be overcome, provided one makes adequate effort.

10. Let us suppose that a student takes an examination. He would be very involved with it
mentally. If he does not fare well in a particular subject, he gets worried and for that reason will
not perform well on the next day also. He who is calm after dedicating the result to God prepares
whole heartedly. Such a student will prepare well for both the examinations. As he is without worry,
he will perform better.

(To be continued)