[Chaturamnaya] Enquiry and Sadhana - 1

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 10 12:26:55 EST 2017

The Mountain Path, Vol. VI No. 4, October 1969
Page 260

https://ramanafiles.s3.amazonaws.com/mountainpath/1969%20IV%20Oct.pdf

Report of questions and answers exchanged between Bhagavan Sri Ramana
Maharshi and SRI D.C. DESAI, I.R.S.E. , Executive Engineer, E.I. Railway, at Sri Ramanasramam,
Tiruvannamalai, South India, on 24-8-1944 at 9 a.m.

Sri Desai: During the Enquiry, should I
repeat mentally the questions: "Who am I
(Koham)?" etc., just like the Japa of a
Mantra again and again, with feeling and
understanding of the same, or ask them
once or twice daily in the beginning and
then concentrate the mind on the source of
ego — the heart and on the efforts to prevent
occurrence of worldly thoughts and
doubts?

Sri Maharshi: Japa of Koham is not correct.
Put the question once only and then
concentrate on finding the source of the ego,
and preventing recurrence of thoughts.

D: Should I endeavour to breathe in and
out deeply and rhythmically during the
enquiry, and synchronise the formula,
Koham, with the same?
Or should I pay attention to the incoming
and outgoing breaths, while repeating the
questions, Koham, Kutoham, etc.?

M: You should not attend to the breathing,
if you are capable of concentrating on
the enquiry without it. Some may have to
attend to the breathing if unable to concentrate
on the enquiry alone. Some may
practise kevala kumbhaka during the
enquiry. Some may require the help of regular
pranayama also to steady the mind, and
control the thoughts.

All these practices are to be given up
when the mind becomes strong enough to
pursue the enquiry without their aid.
Pranayama is to be practised with the usual
caution. It will gradually increase the power
and duration of the kumbhaka. It will make
the mind one-pointed. Take its help if
unable to concentrate without it.
Pranayama is like reins to control the
mind-horse, or like brakes to control the
wheel of thoughts . . . "Who am I" and
"Whence am I" are one and the same.
They refer to the ego only. No such questions
can be asked in the case of the Real
Self.
 (To be continued)