Birth and death and rebirth from Advaitist viewpoint

Ashish Chandra achandra at WNMAIL.WNDEV.ATT.COM
Tue Dec 15 16:39:43 CST 1998

Namaste All,

I have had the following question nag me for a few months. I have never
asked anyone for an answer and have endeavored to find the answer myself,
but so far I have been unsuccessful. Here goes.

If the Atman is Brahma, what is it that is manifested again and again
through birth and rebirth. If there is no duality, then what is it that is
manifested into all that is living, dying and being (re)born ? When we say
that there is no birth or death or rebirth for one who has realised Brahma,
which part of us do we mean i.e. Atman was being manifested all along in
all these births. What stops ? If there is no part, what is not reborn ?

Thanks in advance. I would also appreciate if anyone can direct me to a
written answer by early Vedantic sages or Shankara and/or his disciples or
anyone else who has experienced Brahma.

Ashish