Pancha Kavya

Mon Jul 15 22:15:11 CDT 2002

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Srikrishna Ghadiyaram wrote:

> Hari Om !!
>
> Thank you for the information.
>
> I read that Sri Malayala Swami studied Pancha Kavya
> along with the Prasthana Trayi.
>
> My doubt is why should one study (rather recommended
> to study ) these Kavyas instead of Puranas, as part of
> essential (aid in) Advaita sadhana ? What help are
> these supposed to render.

I suppose mastery of the sanskrit language would make one better able to
understand the shastras but I'm not aware that they have any specifically
religious purpose though they are (with the exception of Meghaduta) all
based on stories from the shastras.  Shriharsha was also an influential
Advaitin, the author of khandanakhandakhadya.

Oh and it is a yaksha who is in exile in the Meghaduta not a Gandharva.