[Advaita-l] RE: brahman and Anandamaya-Atman

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Fri May 14 18:36:29 CDT 2004

In the last two posts, we have gone over the sUtra-s referring to the
Anandamaya and SankarAcArya's comments on them. In this third post in this
series, I will briefly go over important doubts that are possible regarding
the AnandavallI of the taittirIya upanishat, taking up the commentary of
SankarAcArya in the next one.

After SAntipATha (saha nAv avatu ...), the upanishat opens with the
statement that one who knows Brahman in his own heart as satya, jnAna and
ananta, attains the highest. Then the order of evolution of the elements is
described, followed by the descriptions of annarasamaya, prANamaya,
manomaya, vijnAnamaya and Anandamaya in order. These are described in terms
of a body (SarIra) - self (AtmA) relationship. Thus, annarasamaya is
considered the body (SarIra) and prANamaya is its self (AtmA). In turn, the
prANamaya is the body of which the manomaya is the self and so on, till we
come to Anandamaya as the self of the vijnAnamaya body. Thus, each layer is
the self of the one outer to it and in turn is the body of the one inner to
it.

The results of worshipping anna or prANa or vijnAna as brahman are mentioned
in each case. Here, we must pay attention to one of the opening lines - the
knower of brahman attains all his wishes, along with brahman (so 'Snute
sarvAn kAmAn saha brahmaNA vipaSciteti). Now, the result of knowing vijnAna
as brahman is also said to be the attainment of all wishes (vijnAnaM brahma
ced veda ... sarvAn kAmAn samaSnuta iti). Does this indicate that vijnAna
(knowledge or consciousness) itself is Brahman? But the sUtra indicates
Anandamaya as brahman. Where does the Anandamaya fit in then? Also, how do
we connect this to other upanishat-s, such as bRhadAraNyaka, where vijnAna
and Ananda are both posited of brahman?

Each of these bodies/selves is also described in terms of a head (Siras),
right and left sides (dakshiNa and uttara paksha-s), a self (AtmA) and a
tail (puccha) or basis/foundation (pratishThA). Thus for example, Sraddha,
Rta and satya are the head and sides of the vijnAnamaya self. yoga is its
AtmA and mahaH is the tail. The parts of the Anandamaya self are described
as priya (head), moda (right side), pramoda (left side), Ananda (self) and
brahman (tail/foundation).

Here, the Anandamaya is described in terms of consisting of various parts.
Obviously, these parts are different from one another and indicate varying
gradations of happiness or bliss. The upanishat then goes on to say that one
who knows brahman as non-existence (asat) himself becomes non-existent,
while one who knows brahman as existence (sat) is also existent. Here a
question arises. Everyone experiences some happiness (Ananda) for one reason
or another. So, no one can doubt the existence of the Anandamaya self, which
we are told, is brahman. If so, why should anyone think that brahman may be
non-existent? What exactly does the upanishat text mean here?

After describing how everything arises from brahman, the text then says that
non-existence (asat) alone was, in the beginning, and existence (sat) was
born from non-existence. This is a statement that sounds nonsensical to some
ears and like a riddle to others. We are then told that one who makes
distinctions or differences in brahman is subject to fear. If there is
nothing inner to the Anandamaya, then there have to be differences in
brahman, for the Anandamaya itself is described as consisting of parts. How
then, can anyone not see differences at the innermost, ultimate level?

These are problems raised by the taittirIya text, which SankarAcArya
addresses in his commentary, which I will discuss in the next, concluding
post in this series.

Regards,
Vidyasankar