[Advaita-l] Re: pramANatva of shruti [was

Annapureddy Siddhartha Reddy annapureddy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 19:21:08 CST 2006

praNAm.h shrI Amuthan,

> traditionally, advaitins have accepted all smRti-s which do not
> contradict shruti as pramANa.

The question is -- "Why do advaitins (or vEdAntins for that matter) accept
all smR^itis as  pramANa?".

shabda pramANa can be classified as follows:
-- vEdas
-- dharmashAstras
-- itihAsas and purANas

If we put the above question to the pUrva mImAmsakas, they will say:
-- We accept vEdas because they are apaurushEya and hence flawless (and they
will give a proof of it. Let's not get into the validity of the proof and
the element of faith in it for now.)
-- We accept smR^itis (dharmashAstras presumably) because the sentences of
the smR^iti actually come from the vEdas, and hence are apaurushEya. Such
vEdas are now lost to us and are preserved only in the form of smR^iti
(Please see shrI Jayanarayanan's series on the defence of the smR^itis by
kumArila. I am not sure what the opinion of prabhAkara on this issue is.)
-- I am not aware if they have any defence for the other smR^itis like
rAmAyaNa, mahAbhArata etc. which are known to be paurushEya. In other words,
when push comes to shove, they would not mind relegating these smR^itis to
the background. For example, BG 2.42 goes clearly against the pUrva
mImAmsaka, and I am not sure if they would accept the "BG in its entirety"
as a  pramANa.

Now, my question is, how does the vEdAntin answer the above question? He can
use the same mImAmsaka proofs for the vEdas and the dharmashAstras, but what
about the itihAsas and the purANas? (Please note that I am not trying to
contest the pramANatva of these scriptures. I am trying to find out the
philosophical basis for their pramANatva -- whether it is faith/common
acceptance, or if there are any deeper reasons).

That said, I agree with most of what you said below. Though, in the case of
the budhda, I guess the bhAgavata purANa does see him as an incarnation of
shrI mahAviShNu who wanted to delude the asuras. Thus, while he is accepted,
his philosophy is rejected (I should note though that one could interpret
the verses talking about the budhda as not referring to the shAkyamuni.)

praNAm.h.

A.Siddhartha.

so, as far as vedAntin-s are concerned,