[Advaita-l] Rudra creates Brahmā and Viṣṇu

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 23:03:03 CDT 2016

> The above is directly contradicted by the Mahabharata itself.
>
> In Mahabharata shanti parvan, it is mentioned by Krishna himself that
> both Rudra and Brahma have birth from Narayana (from Mbh 12.328, see
> verses 11 and 12 below) -
>
> श्रीभगवानुवाच||

These portions are directly contradicted by the MB itself, by Krishna
himself, by the verses cited from the BORI edition.

> ऋग्वेदे सयजुर्वेदे तथैवाथर्वसामसु | पुराणे सोपनिषदे तथैव ज्योतिषेऽर्जुन
> ||८||
>

> (From Narayana' prasAda, brahma arises, from his krodha, Rudra arises).
>

> Also, given that we have BG (which is part of Mbh) one of the
> prasthAna-trayas which was commented by Shankara, which unanimously
> proclaims the supremacy of Vishnu, and given that Shankara quotes
> multiple instances of Vishnu stuti only from the Mahabharata, we can
> take that alone to be the true vedAntic position of Shankara.

Also, given that we have the VSN, which is part of Mbh and commented upon
by Shankara with quotations replete from various sources to hold Hari-Hara
abheda and trimurti aikya and Shiva parama kāraṇam, etc. and the highest
Advaita also with innumerable upanishadic citations both in the prelude as
well as in the body of the VSN, we can take Shankara's Vedantic  position
as this alone. And in the Prashna bhashya too Shankara holds Rudra to be
brahman.