[Advaita-l] Dashavataras as per Harivamsha

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 7 20:54:41 CST 2017

 Dear Kripa,

 Lord Buddha was Hindu and he died a Hindu. He never said
 that he was promulgating a new dharma. He said that he was
 from the Ikshaku vamsha and that is confirmed by the
 Pauranic chronology.  In the Jataka stories (giving his
 previous births)  he said that he was Lord Rama in one of
 his earlier births. Pauranic chronology shows that Lord Rama
 was also from the Ikshaku vamsha. Hindus do believe that the
 ancestors do take rebirth in their lineage.

 Lord Buddha was never against the Veda.  When he saw that a
 very large number of animals being taken for yajna, he
 advised the king Bimbisara  to continue his yajna, but
 without animal sacrifice, and did not ask the king not to
 perform the yajna. Nowhere in Veda it is said that a large
 number of animals have to be sacrificed. That may be the
 reason why Bhishma said in the Mahabharata that animal
 sacrifice was promoted by the hypocrites (in order to
 satiate their great desire for eating meat).

 Lord Buddha asked the brahmins of his time, as to what the
 Vedas say regarding the way to cross the cycle of birth and
 death, but they said that Vedas have not said any such
 thing. Obviously the Vedic scholars ignored the Upanishadic
 teachings ( which are the essence of the Veda). Lord Buddha
 asked the brahmins to concentrate on the essence of the
 Vedas.

 The colonial historians wanted to prove the pauranic
 chronology to be fake and they tried to show that Lord
 Mahavira was born before Lord Buddha, by reducing the
 antiquity of Lord Buddha.  The colonial historians were
 wrong as Lord Buddha  was born thirteen hundred (1300)
 years before Lord Mahavira.  Lord Mahavira too learned the
 Sankhya and Yoga, but he did not go to the advayavada like
 Lord Buddha did.

 Buddha means Jnani and Buddhists believe that there were
 many jnanis before Lord Buddha.

 Sometime ago, I read one verse (quoted from a Dashavatara
 stora) in a book on the date of AdiShankara and it was
 written by one Kulkarni. That verse says that Lord Buddha
 was an avatara of Lord Vishnu. Some puranas (called as the
 fifth veda by two of the major upanishads) too say that Lord
 Buddha was an avatara of Lord Vshnu. Late President Dr.
 Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan said that Lord Buddha was a great
 reformer of Hinduism, I agree with Dr. Radhakrishnanand and
 I shall also say that  Adi Shankara too was a great
 reformer of Hinduism.

 Regards,
 Sunil KB

 On Sat, 1/7/17, Kripa Shankar <kripa.shankar.0294 at gmail.com>