devotion vs. knowledge

Shashikanth Hosur shashi at KBSSUN1.TAMU.EDU
Mon Jun 3 17:34:28 CDT 1996

On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Giri wrote:
=>>
=>>      "If the aspirant is not temperamentally suited to Vichara Marga (to
=>>      the introspective analytical method), he must develop bhakti
=>>      (devotion) to an ideal--may be God, Guru, humanity in general,
=>>      ethical laws, or even the idea of beauty. When one of these takes
=>>      possession of the individual, other attachments grow weaker, i.e.,
=>>      dispassion (vairagya) develops. Attachment for the ideal
=>>      simultaneously grows and finally holds the field. Thus ekagrata
=>>      (concentration) grows simultaneously and imperceptibly--with or
=>>      without visions and direct aids."
=>>
=>> Sri Ramakrishna used to say that destroying the ego is very difficult
=>> through vichara and hence it should be a servant to the Divine Mother
=>> whose grace will destroy the ego. As it is often said bhakti towards God,
=>> Guru, etc ripens into the jnana that all is Self, there is verily nothing
=>> else. A true Bhakta is a jnani, a jnani is a bhakta.
=>>
=>> Namaste.
=>>
Namaskaram
        What you say is true. There is no difference between Bhakti and Jnana.
In Jnana you Say "I am that" and identify yourself with the Self.  In bhakti
you say " Thy are the Doer i am thy servant" and also "All this is Thy
manifestation".  The choice depends ones aptitude.
        Sri Ramakrishna used to say I do not want to be sugar I want to
taste it and enjoy it.  He used to say " I want to enjoy the Lila of the
Mother".
        He used to say that Some belong to realm of the formless God and
some to God with form.  Its like the same mother feeding her different children
food suitable to there choice or aptitude.
        He sued to say Once a person becomes a True jnani and destroys the
ego he cannot maintain the body, he will give it up.
        Sankaracharya, ramanujacharja kept the ego of knowledge so that
they can serve the world.  He used say about Swami Vivekananda -"He belongs to
releam of formless God.  Once he Knows who he is He will give up his body"
        I was only stating my choice but not distinguishing that Bhakti and
Jnana parts are separate.

with love
shashi

Shashikanth Hosur                                Email:shashi at kbsdec2.tamu.edu
Dept Of Industrial Engg                                shashi at kbssun1.tamu.edu
Texas A&M University                                   shashikanth at tamu.edu

Home:(409) 691 8644
Fax: (409) 846 5468
office :(409) 845 0441
                                  !OM!
Your right is to work only, but never to the fruit thereof. Nor let your
 attachment for the fruits of your action lead you to inaction.

                                        - BhagavatGita 2:47

Love All and Serve All
                        --- Bhagwan Sri Sathya Sai Baba