JIVA-MAN

Mon Nov 18 12:50:16 CST 1996

On Mon, 18 Nov 1996, Ken Stuart wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Fri, 15 Nov 1996 11:34:10 -0500, "Jaldhar H. Vyas"
> <jaldhar at BRAINCELLS.COM> wrote:
>
> >True, just being a sannyasi doesn't guarantee Moksha but not being a
> >Sannyasi guarantees you won't acheive Moksha.
>
> According to which scripture (including chapter and verse please) ?

This is a persistant theme in the writings of Shankaracharya.  Being at
work and away from my books I can't give you exact quotes right now but
the Brhadaranyakopanishadbhashya might be a good place to start.
Sureshwaracharya wrote a vartika on that, the first part of which is
called Sambandhavartika and deals extensively with the relationship
between karma and jnana.

Note what I'm refering is not neccessarily the garments and the begging
bowl etc. but the cessation of karma.  Without this there is no Moksha.

Consider this a preliminary answer until this evening (unless someone else
wants to chime in.)

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas [jaldhar at braincells.com]   And the men .-_|\ who hold
Consolidated Braincells Inc.                          /     \