DEVI PEETAMS

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rbalasub at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Wed Sep 18 12:27:15 CDT 1996

> Mahur is close to Ahmednagar in Maharashtra, on the way to Nagpur, I
> believe. It is also a Dattatreya Peetham. I have some information on how
> to get there, which I can post later on.
>
> By the way, there is a minor tradition that Adi Sankara spent his last
> days at Mahur.

Looks like there are many, many "traditions" about the last days of sha.nkara.
According to some of the literature (which you sent me) there are also
traditions that he spent his last days in Kerala and Chidambaram!

Looks like everyone wants to be associated with sha.nkara one way or the other.
I read in the dvaita list that there is a "tradition" that Madhva defeated
vidyasha.nkara (a Sringeri pontiff) who they claim is a reincarnation of
sha.nkara. I think the advaitins themselves claim no such connection between
sha.nkara and his successor at Sringeri. There seems to be no "tradition" that
Madhva defeated some re-incarnation of raamanuja. Just goes to show how much
sha.nkara has become ingrained in the Indian psyche, I guess.

Ramakrishnan.
--
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant (May faulty logic
undermine your entire philosophy)           -- strong Vulcan curse